Thursday, May 29, 2008

Album Review: Duffy

Duffy- Rockferry

Trends and comparisons are dangerous monsters in the music business, and Duffy is either a victim or a product of both on her debut Rockferry.

Almost immediately after hitting the scene the Welsh singer was being hailed by the British press as one of the “New Amys” drawing comparisons to troubled retro-popster Amy Winehouse.

That comparison is unfair in many ways but a couple stand out.

First, Duffy’s voice is considerably stronger than that of Winehouse, but there is also considerably less attitude.

Rockferry starts out with the title track, a wall of sound ballad that evokes the great Female Brit singers of the mid-sixties; the problem is that the power of the opening song doesn’t continue.

The album continues with a number of sweet and subtle ballads that are good, but not unlike anything you’ve heard before, and by the time you get to “Mercy” (the current single and the albums only up-tempo track) it almost sounds out of place.

The album finishes up with “Distant Dreamer” another throwback with a big big sound that ends the album on a full and beautiful note.

I can’t decide if all these comparisons are good or bad thing for artists and/or listeners (I’m leaning toward bad), but if I must compare then I will say this.

The retro sound is there, the vocal power is most certainly there, the attitude just isn’t.

MY GRADE: C+

1 comment:

Pavel said...

I'm wickedly addicted to this girl and I cannot help it. They play her on the radio here all the time and I just cannot get enough. I wish I could explain it.

Take it easy man. Also, thanks for the movie info. I will not be able to go to a theater but it's cool to know what I am missing.

-Tyler